Skip to main content

Water Only Washing......Beyond 30 days

After a warm/cold rinse
More than a year ago, I decided to for go using traditional shampoos and conditioners. I started whipping up my own hair products with some success, but nothing to brag about. Now I always have an assortment of butters, oils and essential oils, not to mention aloe vera, distilled water and honey. My bathroom cabinets look more like a pastry kitchen than a place to do your business! I wasn't exactly losing any hair and checking out new hair recipes was my quiet, me time. 

Through mostly browsing  the web I happened upon the water only method after trying the max hydration method (MHM) for about a month. Though I liked some of the results I was getting with MHM, it didn't have the simplicity that I was looking for. I was basically looking to do nothing to my hair, but I still needed to look presentable #sistagotaJOB, so I found the simplest method for WOHW from an article on BGLH. I couldn't believe I hadn't thought of it before. Not shampooing or conditioning or co-washing or anything for that matter. It couldn't get any easier than just using water, well I guess it could but I'm not that extreme. This method held my attention because at that point in my natural hair journey, I was sick of the smell of conditioner, sick of deep conditioning, desperately tired of the LOC method for sealing in moisture and just fed up with being a kitchen mixtress. I really just wanted to wash and go, which is funny because a WNG is never really a wash and go. I dove in, all the way. My hair didn't have much build up due to the max hydration method, but none the less, I clarified using Aubrey Organics J.A.Y Desert Herb shampoo, skipped a final condition and plaited my hair. Everyday I was massaging, scritching and preening to no end, even at work. Rinsing daily was fine with me and my hair was really feeling it, shoot, I was feeling myself, I felt like #Tweet-- I looked over to my left Mmm, I was lookin' so good I couldn't reject myself. Ha ha, okay.....I'm done.
An updo during my week of straightened hair

 My hair was beautiful, give or take the days when it was grey from too much sebum.Those days the mixtress in me came through and I was able to hang on by using some kitchen staples like honey, acv and in the naturalista world, baby food. Hair envy is a bitch though, a big nasty one at that. I continued to look at the progress of some MHMers and it got the best of me and off the wagon I fell. Fell hard, like a face plant on concrete. I returned to the world of conditioner, gels and way too much manipulation. My hair and schedule gave me the RBF, the conditioner smell made me sick and I was always wet from dripping hair, yuck. I knew I could no longer spend hours on my hair and back to the WO method I went. Happily!

Now, don't get me wrong, this WO method is the bomb dot com, but again, I was envious of the long hair gals and found myself having secret longings for straight hair. I gave straightening a go while utilizing this method and the results were fair, but I only lasted 1 week in updo's. I did get tons of compliments but my hair didn't feel good and there was breakage galore,  I was and still am chasing length and breakage does not equal length. My hair is shoulder length and even after attacking it with heat I still was not satisfied, so I'm now transitioning to locks.

 For years I've heard the question "Are you going to lock your hair, what are you doing with it?" And I would sometimes get offended by the words "what are you doing with IT".  I mean really, how dare someone have the nerve to ask me what I'm doing with my hair, I mean do all girls get asked that question? I doubt it, but going back to the locking aspect of the question, I'd always say "No, I can't commit to locks". Well now I'm entering the commitment. I took 7 days to install braidlocks. Now that my hair is contained in 400+ tiny braids, I am rinsing, at the least, 2 times a week and scritching and preening even less.  I think locks and the WO method marry together very well because the less I do, the faster my hair will lock. Crazy thing is, 2 months in and I'm envying my OWN loose hair. I'll be going through some old pics and start missing my puff or my big hair, crazy I know. I'm still not 100% on the locks. I hope to gain the length I want to achieve and continue with the lifestyle change that implementing water only washing has started.
My braidlocks
My kitchen chemist has reared her ugly beautiful head and taken a stronghold. I feel myself being very green in that I'm making my own toiletries, eating healthier every month and searching for ways to become whole.I'm trying my a hand at making my very own ACV, and can't get the thought of DIY makeup out of my head. I'm dragging my family down this road with me and my mom is starting to call me the guru!


Has using the water only method changed your perspective on things?? Let me know and leave a comment!


In Case You Missed It
Is Water Only Washing on you TO DO LIST?

Comments

Christine said…
Nice post! Can relate to everything you said! I admit that I'm chasing length too but also want healthy hair. I started with MHM like you and love a lot of things about it. I will still do it but the WOHW way! When I'm ready to try a WnG I will use a natural hair gel like okra, Irish Moss, marshmallow root etc. The okra makes my hair clump like when I was doing MHM "when I tried it as a conditioner. It is messy to use but I still love it.
Christine said…
Do you have a tutorial for the updo style above? I love it!
Skorpyanj said…
Christine, thanks for your comment. I recently started using okra gel and I really like it, except I always end up with the crunchies! I do have some marshmallow root but it hasn't gotten mucousy when I tried using it, so I must be doing it wrong. I'll keep trying though since it doesn't strip my sebum.
Skorpyanj said…
I don't make tutorials since I always style on the fly. Maybe next time I can do a pic-torial. I did receive a lot of compliments the week of wearing my hair straight.

Popular posts from this blog

Cleopatra's Hair Secret

Image via Wikipedia Image via Wikipedia Cleopatra is a natural hair relaxer for black frizzy, curly, etc. Hair, or for one who wants her hair black and straightened. It is good for all hairs shapes: curly, frizzy, frizzly, frizzled, frizzed, kinky , Black Americans, Africans, voluminous or pompous hair. The company DAN DE COSMETICS inherited Cleopatra's secret. The natural formula for straight, smooth, shiny, and fascinating hair by its beauty. The product which has been developed by DAN DE COSMETICS Ltd. Company and called "Cleopatra", is made out a plants and minerals powder, to them there is to add liquid alcohol. This is a 100% natural product; compared among the similar products, available on the market, which are synthetic and alkaline. The prepartion can be applied directly to the roots of the hair. It repairs damaged hair (bleaching, coloring and any chemical agents aplied to the hair). The straightening is permanent and the renewal is done to the

5 Perfect Styles for Every Natural

Let's face it ladies, as naturals, I feel that we are expected to show that we are "doing something" with our hair. We can't can just walk around all fro-y and puffy, but that would  mean we aren't taking the utmost care of our manes. I mean...really, who(#mefor1) would want to walk around like that? Big bushy fro's have absolute  no  sex appeal (I really miss mine) #beenremovinglocs4-2weeks. These styles are nothing new to the natural world, but this is how my hair looked when I was on the water only method. I never really stopped, but I wasn't rinsing much since I was trying to let my hair loc up. One day I'll post my braidlock story. As for now, check out the shine and definition I achieved while styling without product.                                                                                                                                      Puffs N Ponies   Updo's       Like many n